Friday, March 23, 2012

The Rice Road and Illusions/Delusions

This dream was from the night of the 21st
My best friend and I were back in high school. Graduation was coming up, and to celebrate some of the popular kids were going to a hotel at an island location for the weekend in a classmate's plane. Somehow we were invited. I was so excited until I realized that I hadn't packed my bag. I saw the other girls walking around with extra bags at school that day, exchanging excited and knowing glances. I interrupted the girl who had invited me to ask about what I should have packed, and could she tell me the details of where to meet again? She graciously did but it made me feel like an outsider. I decided not to go, I was afraid because I would have had to lie to my parents to go, and what if there was a plane wreck and they didn't know where I was. They would feel so betrayed. So I didn't go. The scene switched to me my mom and my bff walking down a country road. It was paved in white gravel, I wasn't wearing shoes and it felt like walking on rice. Cooked rice. To the right there was a strange plant. It was tall, maybe up to my shoulders, and coming off the stalk were bright rainbow colored long leaves, like a dreacena. I pointed it out and we were all taken in by its exotic beauty. They went into the field to look at it, but I complained because I wasn't wearing shoes and the grass and stickers hurt. I don't know how, but I ended up at the plant. I didn't even get a good look at it because I was watching where my feet were and then they wanted to keep walking. I hopped from soft spot to soft spot back to the road of rice. I don't know where we were going, but I knew we wouldn't get there before nightfall and I was worried.

scene switch

I am driving with my dad and bff to the east campus. We are on an elevated highway in the bad side of town. I pulled into a parking lot and my dad went inside the school to do some business. BFF and I looked around, we were in the middle of a large area filled with mind-blowing buildings. There was one made of copper tubes with a clock tower that chimed really loud every hour. The area we were in was made of gray concrete which made the other buildings that much more beautiful. There was a courtyard area with a concrete clock tower. The whole area was beautiful as I never knew monotonously colored concrete could be. This concrete area was void of people, still and silent, with crystal clear air. My dad came back and we drove off. The sun was setting and shone brightly on a building made of glass. I looked down as we passed it on the elevated highway, and saw the sun glistening off all the cracks. It was cracked glass, but on purpose. Beautiful and sturdy with the illusion of fragility. I was mesmerized. During the day it looked like regular glass, it was only when the sun set that the cracks were illuminated. I remembered thinking, "How could I never have known this place was here?" I had always thought that area was ghetto. As we went over the overpass away from the area, I turned for one last look at this magical part of the city but it was gone. It was never there.

No comments:

Post a Comment